Wednesday, December 12, 2007

14 Seconds

Yes 14 seconds from qualifying for Boston!! Here is the link to the results and the following is the low down on the race.

Started out on Saturday morning with a warm temperature of about 61F. The humidity was around 80-90% while misting off and on most of the morning. The finishing temperature was around 70F. Frankly, it was too warm for a marathon especially when one has been training in cooler temps.

Chip and I started out with a 7:45 pace and pretty much kept on track most of the run. Chip suffered from a serious side stitch around mile 18 and dropped his pace hoping to recover. I kept on pace heading into mile 23. I would say I hit the wall, but it did not seem like that. Aerobically I felt pretty good. I was not breathing excessively and my heart rate was still reasonable. However, my thighs started to feel like lead and my stride was starting to get quite sloppy (feet slapping the pavement). I kept saying to myself this is starting to feel like a death march so I exaggerated my arm swing to help my stride.

I kept making progress, but my pace was dropping like a rock. My pace the last 3 miles was around 9:00 to 9:15. In fact, I lost all of my time cushion the last 3 miles. As I headed to the finish line, hoping not to get a thigh cramp, I was concerned about even the slightest dips in the road. With my sloppy stride, I was afraid I would fall and not be able to get back up. I kept looking at my watch as I knew the time was slipping away. My main goal at the end was to finish on my feet and still running. Even the chip timing carpet was a struggle to get over as I headed into the finish.

My gun time was 3:31:22 and my chip time was 3:31:13. I had to run a 3:30:59 (which rounds down to 3:30). Hence the 14 seconds. As I walked toward the food and drink area, my thighs were burning. I knew I could not squat down, in fact, when I went in to get a massage, the lady had to pull my shoes off since I could not touch my feet. What was nice was staying at the hotel across the street (Embassy Suites) and taking an ice bath then a shower after the run. I even made it to our neighborhood Christmas party that night (beer is a great carbohydrate).

Sunday was a struggle and Monday...ohh man...my thighs were hurting. I parked as close to my office front door as possible and avoided all stairs. Walking downhill is extremely painful when your thighs have been abused by a marathon. Tuesday was a little better and I managed to run a very slow 2.5 miles. Today I walked 2.5 miles and my legs are not hurting. I got a new pair of expensive insoles today (they are heated in the oven and then you step on them so they mold to your feet). I hope they will help my feet since I got another big blister in the middle of my right forefoot (which popped at mile 24). That was probably the most serious foot issue. I lubed my feet up with bodyglide and A&D ointment. Plus, I tried a modified shoe tying method (lace locking) which I think kept my heel in place.

Well it is soon time to start training for the Mercedes 1/2 marathon. I am thinking about running the Music City Marathon in April to see if I can lower my time. I feel that I should be able to run under 3:20. I just need to get a little more distance in my legs.

No comments: