Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Heart is Acting Up Again

Had a 10-12 hour episode this past Saturday where my heart went into atrial flutter. I believe I was somewhat dehydrated when it started and it is hard to make it stop. I finally went to bed and woke up the next morning with no problem. I was tired from my heart working so hard. Atrial flutter occurs when the one chamber beats 4 times for every one heartbeat. I went to a local doc-in-the-box and they ran an EKG which showed the flutter. The doc gave me a shot of blood thinner on Saturday and then again on Sunday.

I visited the cardiologist today and he is kind of at a loss as to what to do. I don't have this all the time and there does not seem to be any regular trigger that starts an episode. So now I am on blood thinner medicine (wafarin) and will journal my occurrences.

No comments: