Saturday, August 23, 2008

Another 4 Years

Well the Olympics are almost over. I can finally start getting some sleep. It has been great watching ribbon dancing, horse galloping, basket weaving, etc. (not really). I have enjoyed the real sports...running, cycling, swimming and so on. I am Olympiced out though.

Been working hard. I was out of town earlier this week on a business trip to NYC (Brooklyn). I stayed at a hotel just on the other side of the Brooklyn bridge. In fact, I was able to run over the bridge into downtown Manhattan a couple of times. Nice flat run (except for the bridge). The weather there was cooler on Tuesday and Wednesday and made for great outdoor weather.

I have been trying to run more frequently and lift weights. I am not training for a race, but I think I can consider running a few races for fun (aka fun running). I am not planning on doing anything competitive because it would be a waste of time on heart medicine. I think I have come to terms with my "condition" and can live with the situation.

I did manage to run 8.4 miles today in the remnants of Fay as it moves through Bham. It was wet, but otherwise enjoyable. I am suffering from a case of plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Running on the hard pavement has not helped any and I probably need to run on some softer surfaces while icing my foot. I have tried some different things to ease this problem, but I have not been successful to date. Just gettin' old(er).

Congratulations to neighbor Jim who is now engaged!

1 comment:

Jim said...

thanks for the congrats!

There are worse things than "fun running". It could be that you don't run at all. I've run the gambit from "fun running" to actually running a 3:48 marathon, which was good for me. After all of this, and through my present situation, I still reflect on Mona in awe. If anyone ever had an excuse to be whiney and wimpy she had every right to be but she refused. Don't ever accept less than your best. Just be pleased in knowing that your best is indeed YOUR best.