Monday, February 11, 2008

The Day After

It is somewhat humorous watching your son waddle around like a duck. Some lessons are only learned at the school of hard knocks. My daughter has little soreness which I attribute to not running hard enough and she attributes to being prepared. Both of them wore their finisher shirts to school and my daughter even wore her bling (each finisher gets a nice medal on a ribbon) to school. They are certainly proud of their accomplishment. My friend Jim thought I may have the unique distinction of having all of my offspring in the race this past weekend. Since I only have two, it was pretty easy.

Now my daughter and her friends are considering the Music City 1/2 marathon. Once you get them hooked....

I did not run today. Some soreness set in during the course of the day (delayed onset soreness or something like that). Otherwise, I feel pretty good. No flutter at all today which is typical of all my non-running days. My plan tomorrow is a nice easy run at lunch followed by a visit to the cardiologist. I am sorely tempted to try a drug; however, I am apprehensive due to the unknown effects. All the stuff that I researched yesterday does not paint a pretty picture. I think I will give drugs a try to confirm my suspicion that it will not be a pleasant experience so that I can move on to a catheter ablation. I am more inclined to go after a permanent fix rather than a lifetime of drugs. I sure would like to run again unencumbered by flutter!

A co-worker at one of our plants suffered a major heart attack over the weekend. He is in a drug-induced coma and on a ventilator. Apparently, one side of his heart had full blockage and he had been under the weather for several weeks. Fortunately, he went to the doctor on Sunday where he collapsed. Please say a prayer for him and his family as they struggle through this ordeal.

I will update tomorrow after the doctor visit...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

reading your blog is relaxing and helps paint a better perspective for me.

i recently started having flutters. i am 42, male, and a researcher. my doctors tend to shuffle me in and out and tell me to come back only if i have had fainting spells -- hardly reassuring. my flutter tends to come and go mostly at night.

i have found a lot of useful tips from a real person: eliminate alcohol, caffeine; increase hydration; exercise; keep your life active and keep a positive attitude.

it'll take me a while to psych myself back to normal with my flutters. it's comforting to know there are lots of normal people living normal lives with flutter.

i'll stay in touch with my docs and check into your blog now and then. thanks for blogging :)

-- chicago