Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Apple's Time Capsule

Here is a brief synopsis of my attempt to set up Time Capsule. I must say that I was successful and have had only a couple of minor issues.

Equipment:

MacBook Pro, Dell Inspiron laptop, HP laptop and Dell desktop (all Windows machines are running XP).
Time Capsule (500 GB drive)
AT&T (formerly Bellsouth) modem for DSL
Canon MX310 multi-function printer

I left the setup of the desktop last since I am in the process of transferring files from it and then wiping the drive.

I gathered the three laptops and the printer in one spot to minimize the travel. First I loaded the printer drivers, hooked up the printer to each, and ran a test page (successful).

Next I loaded Airport Utility on each computer (except the MacPro).

I then set up Time Capsule and wirelessly connected to the internet with my Mac. I connected the other laptops to the net. Then I added the printer and verified that I could print from each laptop (using Bonjour - the only way to go).

Issue one - the multifunction does not work using Time Capsule. The printer will only print.

Issue two - the HP will not print. I have tried everything to make it work and no luck. The computer sees the printer on Airport Utility, but no luck on printing. Solution - we have a second multifunction printer that I connected to the HP (it is my son's computer and he does not move it out of his room much). So now I have multifunction capability on at least one computer which may come in handy.

Issue three - I had to start Airport Utility again on each computer and one I had to reboot so it could see the Time Capsule drive. No further problems.

Issue four (and biggest) - next day my wife is trying to print...no luck. The printer which I turned off the night before could not be seen in Airport Utility on any computer. So using the Mac, I redid the entire process and got it working. I found out that if I would have done a soft or hard reset of Time Capsule, I probably would have recovered the printer. So printer now works so I left the power on. After googling the issue, I did find a thread on bug with this issue, but no solution.

I called Apple Care and went through issue four. I could not get the problem to manifest itself again. So it seems that the issue has magically resolved itself.

Issue five - could not get my Directv HD DVR to connect to the internet although my Samsung BluRay player connected right away and loaded a new driver.

This issue disappeared after resolving my printer issue. I went into the DVR's network setup the next day and it connected right away with no problems.

Issue six - I have since connected a powered USB 2.0 bus and added two other hard drives. When I was saving my critical files to the Time Capsule, I would get an error message occasionally and the Time Capsule would lock up. I had to cycle the power to reset the Time Capsule because Airport Utility would not see it to do a soft reset. I am able to see and use the two new drives with no issues. To solve this problem, I just moved less files at one time. I have not been able to figure out this one out, but it is not a showstopper.

Minor issues:

I have two instances of my MX310 showing up on Time Capsule. I think this is because I loaded the driver on my Mac twice when troubleshooting the printing issue. Merely an irritating side effect.

Time Capsule runs HOT when using the disk.

Time Capsule has no on/off switch and the power cord connection is very tight.

One of my other drives spins continuously...I don't think it is a Time Capsule issue...just a drive issue. Since I don't plan on using it much, I will simply disconnect it from the bus.

The Rest of the Story:

I have connected the cantankerous desktop with no issues. I moved tax files from my old Zip drive to the Time Capsule.

I have connected my son's Xbox 360 with no issues.

Back to issue four - after leaving the printer off all night, I just tried printing and no luck. I have done a soft reset and no luck. Time to call Apple Care!

Update: Called Apple Care...analyst had me remove the printers in Preferences and then re-add. Printer now works. This is painful if I have to fiddle with this issue each time I need to print!

No comments: