Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Nearly the End of 2008

Well another disappointing football game by the OSU Cowboys. They just can't quite close the deal on big games. I think they were lucky to do as well as they did....there is always next year.

Been working on my new router, Apple's Time Capsule. I will write more about it later and some of the pitfalls I ran across (and solved).

Still running. Ran a 10 miler last Saturday. Time was about 1:23, which is about 11 minutes slower that last year. I was hurting the last couple of miles when I hit the last couple of hills. While I am on track to successfully run the Mercedes, it won't be nearly as fast as my previous attempts. In fact, it will probably be my slowest run to date.

I ran 5 miles yesterday and really felt the effect of Saturday's run. Trying to pile on mileage now to get up to 13-14 prior to the race is not fun. One good thing is that the plantar's in my left foot is mostly gone. I credit the stretching exercise I do every morning in the shower and after each run. Seems to have done the trick. Basically I would put my heels against the wall and lean on the opposing wall for about 50 seconds. Then I would move closer the opposing wall, crouch, then lean forward for about 50 seconds. I think the continuous stretching has been effective. It was not a quick remedy, but it seems to have worked for me.

Been having a couple of pitter patters with heart this evening. Even on the flecainide, I get an occasional flutter. Just the way it goes. I am on the lowest dosage to keep the flutter at bay and still feel like I can get my heart rate up when I run.

Only a few more days of vacation and then it is back to work. The economy is beginning to concern me. Yeah, everything has tanked and the market has been clobbered. But the retails stores that are folding and the continuous media coverage that this could be worse than the Great Depression is depressing. Instant access to information has its pluses and minuses. Now with Israel pounding the stew out of the Hamas and India/Pakistan chest butting one another may put the world into a real tailspin. With the military focused on Iraq and Afghanistan, our ability to respond to any other crisis is severely limited. Some of these other countries will need to step up to the plate.

Well it is way past my bedtime. I will write more on my Time Capsule travails later.

No comments: