Tuesday, October 17, 2006

It takes Heart to Run

Well once again I have been in hiatus with regard to this blogging stuff. However, since my huge following is awaiting words of wisdom, I won't disappoint this go around ;-)

10/11 Monday - feeling a little better. It has been over a week that I have had the crud. I feel good enough to run an easy 4.5 miles at lunch. Problem - heart rate problem starts again about an hour after I finished my run. Call doc. See doc. Atrial Flutter. Hmmm (what my doc says after he runs the EKG). Need to see a cardiologist. Doc prescribes a blood thinner.

10/10 Tuesday - see cardiologist. Echocardiogram and nuclear stress test. Nothing like running hotter than a firecracker in a radioactive kind of way. The flutter was gone...disappeared the previous evening and did not recur during any testing. This is just like taking your car in to the mechanic and telling him you hear this noise every now and then. The mechanic never hears the noise.

10/11 Wednesday - nothing.

10/12 Thursday - cardio nurse calls with my "results." No problem. Says that the doctor is impressed with my output and there are no restrictions. I run 4.8 miles that evening after work...easy of course.

10/13 Friday - run 4.5 miles at work and leave for the Ocoee after work.

10/14 Saturday - after spending the coldest night of my life in an unheated cabin and in an inadequate sleeping bag, I get up with the rest of my compadres and go rafting down the Ocoee...no restrictions and no problems.

10/15 Sunday - long run in the high aerobic heart rate range. 1 hour and 45 minutes...a little over 12 miles. No problems. Actually feel pretty good after the run.

10/16 Monday - kids off from school and I take off from work. Very windy and rainy all day long. I run 45 minutes in the hood and then 15 minutes at a local park where my son practices with his XC team. My son and I go the movies and I have a little flutter - few minutes at best - during the movie. No other issues.

Cardio nurse calls again to let me know that my echocardiogram was negative...still don't know what is wrong other than the flu-like crud that I had...feel pretty good after nearly 2 weeks of feeling crappy. I would hate to have a full blown case of the flu.

10/17 Tuesday - back at work and run 4.5 miles at work (a bit rainy - rained like crazy on the way to work)....no problems.

Well I will continue to blog and track my progress. I just hope this heart issue calms down and I can work on my aerobic base. Now did I mention my legs hurting...must be from all this running!

No comments: