Saturday, October 28, 2006

A Little Rain and a Little Sunshine

Things are slowly improving. I did have to spend 45 minutes on the treadmill on Friday due to the ongoing rain, but it was not too bad. I think I got about 5 miles at a 8 to 8:30 pace with a slight incline in the middle of the run to shake things up a bit. That and listening to some good tunes to take my mind off of spending time on the treadmill.

10/27 Friday - Treadmill run as described above. 45 minutes covering about 5 miles.

10/28 Saturday - The dreaded long run. I was laying in bed at about 7AM knowing that it was chilly outside and I really did not feel like running. I finally rolled out of the rack at about 7:30 looking to see if my friend Chip was running yet. I knew he was doing a long run today and I was hoping to go along for the ride. However, my legs were feeling stiff and I was not sure that I was up to a long run today. So I went with plan C and decided to run until I was tired. So I got my water bottle, put on some warm clothes and headed out for a run. I happened to see Chip down the road and took off after him. We finally hooked up and ran together. Chip had a lap on me which was fine because he is getting ready for a marathon (and I am not). So we ran some slow laps for a while and realizing that we were a bit slow on the pace, we picked it up. Our last 4-6 laps (of 1.2 miles) were about 10:10. I got in a 2:15 run covering 15 miles while Chip finished about a 2:30 run covering 18 miles. My legs never felt good the entire run, but the rest of me felt fine. My heart rate remained reasonable and only got a bit high on the small hill at the end of our lap. As I sit here typing, my knees are sore especially as I go up and down stairs. Anyway, I plan on going to bed in a few minutes to take advantage of the clock shift and hopefully my legs (knees) will feel better in the morning. I would like to get in a short recovery run, but it will be dependent on how I feel.

Hasta manana.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Thanks for the company last night on the last lap. Better still was the keg o beer in Animal's driveway!

Sounds like you may be beating yourself down with lots of hard work. How you doing on rest days? I have learned from past mistakes that doing long runs with you and Chip will beat me up. Maybe with Chip being ahead of the game in his marathon training is putting a strain on you?