Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Travel and Running

I have been on the road the past couple of weeks (eating and drinking too much). I did keep up the running except for one easy day each week. I feel like I am on schedule with my training. However, I did read an article on the Rocket City Marathon website and noted a comment regarding the amount of running required the 4-6 weeks prior to the marathon in order to avoid the dreaded "WALL." My weekly mileage won't reach the prescribed amount, however, I think I will be alright. Now remember, this is my first marathon and I am shooting for a 3:30. My best 1/2 marathon is 1:31:30ish on a hilly course (Mercedes in the 'ham) this past Feb.

Now my training for the 1/2 included a couple of 20 mile runs and several 7-10 mile tempo runs along with hill repeats each week. My mistake was not running 1/2 marathon pace runs especially since I was shooting for a sub-1:30. Now that I am 45, I am not sure if I hit my middle-age peak (I realize my real peak is long past ;-)).

Anyway, my running partner and neighbor, Chip, and I ran a 6 mile pace run (target of 7:50) on Saturday for a total of 7.5 miles (included a warmup and cooldown). We started a little slow on the pace run and ran several waayy to fast. Then Sunday we ran 13.2 miles in 2 hours (probably a little too fast). Monday (and today), I was one hurtin' pup. Knees hurt, legs sore, and just kind of achy from the waist down. I did run a 3.6 mile easy run on Monday (34 minutes) which did not help my achy, breaky legs. Today was a 35 minute tempo run that I did during lunch at work. After aching all morning long (and sleeping poorly last night), my legs finally felt fine after the run.

Thank goodness tomorrow is another easy run followed by a 3 mile pace run on Thursday. Well I am ready for bed so I will bid thee goodnight.

PS - The flutter has come and gone recently. In fact, after my last post, I had several instances of flutter. I think I was anxious about my pending trips. Anyway, I have had a couple of flutters over the past couple of days, but nothing dramatic. We'll see how things go over the next few weeks. So far, it has not affected my running.

1 comment:

Jim said...

You guys rule! Marc and I were running this afternoon and dog-cussing you and Chip for being so far ahead with your training. Nobody to blame but ourselves!

I think you have the 3:30 in you. The main thing is to not hurt yourself with over-agressive training trying to follow every step of a program. Listen to your body for it knows what you need.

I am planning on doing the Mercedes half so you will be seeing more and more of me on the road. Just not as fast!