Wednesday, November 15, 2006

It seems like it rains all the time...

Nonetheless, the rain must stop and runners must run. I got out for a 4.8 mile run followed by 6X100 yard strides with ~200-300 yd jog in between. Total run time was a little over 1 hour. Believe it or not, my glutes are sore from yesterday's hill run. Other than that, I feel fine!

I was rereading an old Lydiard file on training. This is my first season to try it and I am still working out the kinks. His method is not so straightforward like many you find on the Internet. His mantra is a strong aerobic base, followed by hill training, anaerobic training, coordinated training and then sharpening. He also suggests doing morning jogs of at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour in addition to your normal training day. The overall training method is not cookie cutter and actually takes someone that knows (or least thinks they know) how to train effectively without overdoing it. A lot of his methodology is by "feel." So I am kind of soloing through this method to see how it applies to my training and capabilities.

What is unfortunate for me is that I am starting this process in my mid-40's. So I have already missed my peak years. But I am willing to continue trying to improve my times especially since I don't do a lot of racing.

I believe that the Lydiard method will work, but the process takes time. Not a year or even two, but many years of tweaking to reach peak performance. While the human body starts to slowly degrade by the time a male reaches their mid-20's, physical training and a good diet while slow the degradation. Eventually it will fail, but there is no sense in going easily into the night.

Besides, I enjoy being physically active. People often comment on how skinny I am. What they don't realize is that I continually work at staying in shape. Yes, I am fortunate to be gifted with a slender build and active metabolism. But folks, if you are active, then you have less mass in the ass!!!

The funny thing is that I weigh about 164 lbs and would like to drop to mid 150's. Man, it is hard to trim off 10 lbs cause there ain't much left to trim off. I am a firm believer in the power-to-weight ratio. So the only thing I can control is weight and I already on the slim shady side. Frankly, I still like chocolate and red wine...

No comments: