Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Does Exercise Help Flutter?

Reader "Dan" asked whether or not exercise helped with the flutter. For me the answer is no. Usually I have flutter after exercise, but not always. In fact, during some of my runs, I will have a twitch of flutter, but not always. My most recent long term daily bout of flutter I did not exercise. One reason was to recover from a slight head cold and to let the body recover in general. I had lots of flutter during that period. Once I got on some allergy medicine my flutter episodes diminished greatly.

My flutter seems to be related to illness. Not that I am chronic illness person. However, this is the first time in my life that I have been on allergy medicine. Never been an issue before. (what is up with that?) Maybe it is a phase in my life due to the aging process. And maybe not.

On a more cheerful note, I ran today. I did a 4.8 mile tempo run. I am kind of following the Hal Higdon high school cross country summer program. I need a little regulation in my exercise and I am still considering getting back on the bike. Maybe my legs won't ache so much. Getting older is a pain (everywhere).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great to see you are still running. I hate to bring up the "flutter" thing again, but I am curious - did you check your heart rate and did it affect the ventricles at any time? Also, what did the doctors tell you and did it just give you an uncomfortable feeling (a jiggle in the chest) or did you have other symptoms?

Keep up the running.

Dan