Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day 2008

As the month of May draws to a close, Memorial Day is another reminder of the sacrifice of our men and women in uniform. I just read a web article on Memorial Day where the the author (or editor) titled it "On vets holiday..." This is technically not a veterans holiday. To be remembered on this day requires the ultimate sacrifice of dying for your country. Check Wikepedia's write up on Memorial Day. I once chastised a person the operated a stock blog for stating "have a happy Memorial Day." I don't think this holiday is meant to be happy and I am certain there are many families today that are going through a normal holiday with a heavy heart. I will now get off my soapbox.

I am working with some other Oak Mountain cross country and track & field parents to start a running club. We are also encouraging local area runners to join our club in support of the schools. We even have a website www.oakmountainrunnersclub.com. If you are interested in supporting a local running club, please join us.

I have been running more this past couple of weeks. In fact, on Saturday, we ran at Oak Mountain State Park on one of the hiking trails. WOW. I have never done that kind of run and it was a killer. I look forward to more training runs at the park. I don't think we ran that far, but it was a heck of workout running over roots and rocks and up and down steep inclines. This morning, my daughter and I ran at Veterans Park. I managed to get in about 6 miles.

My heart issues have seemed to calm over the past few weeks. What was a daily event has slid into a very infrequent event. I wonder if being on some allergy medicine has helped. Who knows? I will be seeing Dr. Kay at the end of June to see what he suggests.

Well this weekend is almost over. I have to think about heading into work tomorrow. Next week I head to the sites for a few days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Do you think that exercise has helped the Atrial Flutter. My EKGs show that I have it. I really didn't notice it, but one night my rate went to 140 beats per minute. They calmed the Ventrical down and now it is about 65 BPM.

I am 48 and walk daily. I do lift some weights a few times a week.

When I left the hospital a couple weeks ago they said I had a normal sinus wave. In the doctors office the other day he said the atrium was still fluttering.

Anyway, it is good to see you still running. Keep it up.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Just found this as I googled "hiking with atrial flutter". I am 64 and run daily. I had atrial fibrillation for 14 years, the first occurrence (that I remember) being at the 1987 WS 100. I already had four belt buckles but was in really good shape that year. Well, the AFib just took me down. Back then, they didn't know what to do with it so I endured until I found the maze procedure which I had done at the Cleveland Clinic in January 2001. I then had six plus good years of competing before I had this breakthrough with AFlutter. I am going to Northwestern Memorial Hospital on August 12 for an ablation (I live in California). My observation (I'm no doctor) is that once you get one of these arrhythmia's, they will progressively get worse. It may take 5 plus years but they become more chronic. You can control them for awhile with really ugly drugs but over time, even these will fail.

So, maybe start looking at cure options. Duke has a great facility and I'm sure that there are others. I go to NW because Dr. McCarthy is there as is Dr. Goldberger and they have experience.

The reason I was initially searching was that I'm taking my 12 year old on Tuesday to climb (14,000 ft) in the Sierras so I thought I'd see how much my flutter will hurt me. I'll just do it though because even with flutter, I'm in better shape than most.

Ed