Thursday, September 14, 2006

Mid Week

Ran Wednesday AND Thursday...wow! Wed I ran about 5.5 miles with fast/hard mile at 2-3.5 and finished the last mile fast/hard. Trying to throw in a little speedwork (aka fartlek...always loved that term at least until I run them...must be a guy thing ;-) as the fall 5K season approaches. In the next month I will actually start doing speedwork to see if I can get my 5K time down to around 18 minutes. It will hurt...that is the thing about running is that you subject your body to pain...heavy, gasping breathing and aching legs. The hard part is to manage the speedwork such that you gain benefit and not injure yourself. I think that running a fast pace is mainly mental ONCE you know your God given (or not) limitations. Not everyone can run a 15 min 5K or 20 min 5K. Once you know your limits, you can train to maximize the talent (or lack thereof) you have. yada yada yada, blah blah blah!

Ran easy and slow on Thursday...about 3.2 miles. Trying to recover from the earlier workouts. This is the hardest thing for me to do! Running at a slow, comfortable pace is just not my style. But the intelligent, thoughtful runner recognizes the aforementioned limitations and works with them rather than against them. I have yet to claim that I am intelligent or thoughtful, but I try!

My son raced a 2-mile XC meet today. He ran 14:34 which was about 45 seconds better than the last 2-mile race. When I tried to find him at the finish, he was nowhere to be found. Turns out he probably ran faster to the restroom than he did finishing the race. He just does not have a competitive drive, but at least he is out there doing something.

No comments: