Sunday, April 20, 2008

God Smiled Today

What a beautiful weekend. I don't recall the last weekend where we had such gorgeous weather. Perfect for driving in my Miata.

On the other hand, I attended a funeral today for a colleague that had recently retired from where I work. It is sad to see a family mourn the loss of a father and husband so soon after retirement. The hardest part was to listen to a daughter read a letter she wrote her father some time ago while she was struggling with college. I don't think any of the three daughters have yet married or had children.

I sometimes wonder what legacy I will leave behind. I don't live to leave a legacy, rather I believe that I must live such that my life is worth remembering.

So even with the beauty of today, life (and death) goes on. Having the love of Christ in our hearts, God did smile on us today as he did yesterday and for all days to come.

Ben - may peace be with you.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Dom,
You are correct. I cannot remember a more beautiful weekend. A great time for driving the Mustang around in Destin! No running for me this weekend but at least I ate and drank!

Yes-it is sad about Ben. Death always makes us think about our own mortality. It wasn't that way when I was younger but now, like you, I reflect on what I've done and how I'll be remembered. All we can do is the best we are capable of.

Congrats on the PROMOTION! Need more info . . . you'll have to take us out to dinner!