Sunday, April 01, 2007

Event #4

As an epilogue to Friday's event. It finally quit as I went to bed. My wife did mention that about 0220 Saturday morning, she woke up as I took a large breath and then seemingly stopped breathing before I started almost panting. She put her hand on my chest and could feel my heart racing (I don't think she could determine that I was fluttering). She said this went on for nearly 45 minutes. She feels like she has a newborn in the house that you check on throughout the night to make sure it is still breathing. No wonder I woke up tired. I just wonder if I do this every night??

Event #4 - Saturday, at a track meet until about 1430. Event #4 started around 1300 shortly after I had a bag of popcorn and a gatorade. Something just ain't right. I almost believe that if I quit eating, I won't have anymore fluttering. Of course there are side effects!

The fluttering was not consistent. I got home a little after 1430, had a bite to eat. Feeling lethargic and fluttering in and out, I laid on the couch and took a nap. Now I am not at nap person. I haven't taken one in years because I usually nap and wake up cranky then I cannot sleep at night. However, I slept maybe an hour, woke up feeling somewhat refreshed and the old heart was beating in a normal rhythm. I think I may have found the solution!

Took a shower and the wife and I went to a Sunday School party. I ate moderately and drank Sprite / water. No further episodes the rest of the night. A friend at the party who has had his share of heart problems suggested that I may have acid reflux that triggers my fluttering. He suggested an antacid before major meals to see if that helps. I am willing to try anything to get my normal rhythm back.

Anyway, I have spent most of the day on Sunday lounging around after church. No fluttering whatsoever. I did take two Tums before I ate lunch. Not sure if they worked or I was just lucky. I would like to get to a point that I can start running or riding again. I should blood work back early this week and may see my internal doc again. I want to further explore this acid reflux possibility because I have noticed a burning sensation in my chest after eating that I attributed to my heart. Plus, on some of my hard running workouts, my lower throat would burn afterward feeling like acid had worked its way up.

No comments: